Gravel for days … and days
Note: Our overnighters are still on hold due to COVID-19, but we expect to reopen them again shortly.
Our gravel overnighters are supported, multi-day, self-guided or guided micro-adventures on amazing gravel routes between Beechworth and other High Country destinations.
Across 2 days of riding and 3 nights of accommodation you’ll experience the fantastic gravel terrain, challenging climbs, rollicking descents, beautiful accommodation and lip-smacking farmgates and cellar doors around and beyond the Beechworth district on some of the quietest, most scenic backroads in the Victorian High Country.
Just you and your bike
Pack an overnight change of clothes and your day 2 riding gear in a bag, give it to us when you set off, and it will magically appear at your overnight accommodation. Then pack it all up the next morning after you’ve commenced your ride home and it’ll reappear back in Beechworth for you.
(Or, carry your own gear in bikepacking bags and take off on a self-sufficient adventure.)
The gravel overnighters are a hassle-free way to enjoy a long weekend of riding sensational gravel roads in the High Country, with nothing but your bike and the next climb or corner to think about.
Accommodation, food and drink
On the 2 day gravel overnighters we arrange three nights of accommodation for you – one before you start riding, one halfway, and one after you’ve finished. Where you stay varies depending on how much luxury you want, the route you’re on, the time of year and availability.
- Thursday: You travel to Beechworth, arrive in the afternoon/evening and stay at your night 1 accommodation that night. Allow yourself some time to check out Billson’s Brewery and maybe a pub meal at The Empire for dinner, or just kick back and relax with a takeaway (Beechworth’s Indian and Chinese restaurants are great).
- Friday: Ride day 1. Fill up on breakfast, then bring yourself (ready to ride) and your overnight bag to Gravelmob HQ (the Old Beechworth Gaol). We’ll take you through a safety briefing over a coffee, talk about the route, then send you on your way. When you arrive at your destination accommodation your bag will be there.
- Saturday: Ride day 2. Leave your overnight bag for Gravelmob to collect, and follow the route back to Beechworth. We highly recommend ending your ride with a pizza and pint at Bridge Road Brewers, but you probably don’t need us to tell you that.
- Sunday: You check out and travel home. (sad face)
Your pre-ride and on-ride food and drink is taken care of via meal vouchers to use at cafes/general stores en route. End-of-day food and drink is up to you.
Sag wagon support
The gravel overnighters are designed as self-guided rides, although you can book a guide to accompany you if you prefer. We help you set off from Beechworth, equip you with the route in digital GPX format (you also get a physical map of the route and a route briefing before you leave), and wish you a safe and enjoyable ride.
In case of a complex bike problem that you can’t resolve, an emergency safety issue, or if it all becomes too much and you want to call it a day, you can call on the Gravelmob Sag Wagon to pick you up.
If you’re keen on an overnighter but you’re worried about navigation or safety then you can book a Gravelmob Guide to accompany you. Your guide can leave you and your friends to your aprés ride activities when the day’s riding is over.
What’s included – Gravel Overnighters
- 2 days of sensational backroads and gravel riding in the High Country.
- 3 nights’ 3.5-4.5 star accommodation, or camping if you prefer (at a reduced price).
- Luggage transfers between Beechworth and your ride destination accommodation.
- Breakfast, morning tea and lunch vouchers.
- Sagwagon support for emergencies or unresolvable mechanicals.
- Exclusive souvenir Gravelmob t-shirt and water bottle.
- If you aren’t bringing your own gravel bike you can hire one of our Bombtracks.
Pricing – Gravel Overnighters
Note: These prices are “from” and are for 3.5 – 4.5 star accommodation. The actual price will vary depending on season, your accommodation choice, and availability.
|2 Day/3 Night Overnighter||Total||Price per person|
|1 rider||From $960||From $960|
|2 riders||From $1,570||From $785|
|4 riders||From $2,490||From $622.50|
|3 nights’ accommodation||Included|
|Breakfast, morning tea and lunch||Included|
|Support for emergencies or mechanicals||Included|
(std rate applies)
|Bombtrack gravel bike hire||Optional|
(std rate applies)
Routes – Autumn/Winter 2020
Beechworth to King Valley (2 day/3 night ride)
Our autumn/winter route avoids higher elevations (where it snows!).
Rating: Blue (Mostly flat, with some steeper pinches. Good level of endurance and bike handling required)
Day 1 – 85km | Day 2 – 85km | Total 1,850 vm | 85% gravel
Day 1 of this ride departs from Gravelmob HQ at The Old Beechworth Gaol and sends you on scenic backroads through farming country before arriving for lunch in the King Valley village of Moyhu. The riding after lunch follows more excellent gravel roads to the southern end of the King Valley, where you’ll stay overnight in either Whitfield or Cheshunt. Return to Beechworth the next day via more sensational gravel roads, climbing over the Black Range and through Whorouly before the final climb back into Beechworth on the rail trail.
More routes will become available through 2020 as the seasons change.